Wellington International Airport is part of the Be Accessible programme. We're committed to assisting all travellers who require special help.
The airlines operating from Wellington International Airport offer wheelchair and mobility assistance to help customers with reduced mobility. Please contact your airline directly to pre-arrange this service 48 hours before you travel.
Our friendly team of Airport Ambassadors are in the terminal ready to assist you from 8am - 6pm, Monday - Friday. You can find them by the information counter on Level 1 and Level 0.
Customer assistance phones
We have five airport customer assistance phones to connect you to our helpful Airport Operations Team. These are located in the following areas:
- Level 1 - By our Check-in Information Counter
- Level 1 - Underneath The Meeting Point and outside Gates 13-17
- Level 1 - By International Departures
- Ground Floor - By the Information Counter
- Ground Floor - Between Baggage Storage Room and Medical Room near bag claim 1
Accessible car parking
These are located on level 1 just outside of the new multi-level car park. To access these from the Northern end follow the signs to P120 Express. After exiting the multi-level car park, turn right at the bottom of the exit ramp, and there are two rows of accessible parks. Please display your mobility card, and these parks are charged at Uncovered rates, whether you ‘drive up’ or book online.
There are also mobility parks located in the Long Term car park, Long Term rates apply whether you ‘drive up’ or book online.
Valet is another great option, as you can drive right into the terminal, making this the closest, most convenient option.
Wellington Airport also offers free use of the Aira app (through your smart phones) which offers a virtual assistant to assist those with visual impairments to navigate their way through the airport. For more information, visit Aira.
Please note that we don't make boarding calls so travellers should check the Flight Information Displays and their tickets for boarding times.
We have ANZ Bank ATMs with accessibility features:
- pinpads have a dot on the #5 key to help vision impaired customers to determine the location of buttons
- earphone jacks so customers can hear voice commands for transactions (English only)
- Japanese, Chinese and Korean languages.
Our airport doors are automatic and wide enough for easy wheelchair access.
First aid, medical & emergency services
For urgent medical attention call 111. For all other emergencies please advise a staff member, pick up one of our customer assistance phones located on Ground level and Level 1.
Please do not hesitate to let one of our staff, or an airline staff member know if you require medical assistance. Our Airport Fire Service staff are trained in advanced first aid, and attend all medical emergencies.
Airports are busy environments and can be stressful for many people, particularly if you are unsure what to expect on the day. If you, or someone you are travelling with has a disability that isn’t immediately obvious to airport staff, such as autism, dementia, or anxiety, we can now provide you with a hidden disability lanyard to wear on your journey through the airport. Find out more here.
Lift access is available between all levels and in the covered park building. All lifts are equipped with Braille keys.
Sharps Disposal Units
Sharps Disposal Units are available in the following locations:
- Main Terminal Northern Level 1 male toilet
- Main Terminal Northern Level 1 female toilet (accessible cubicle)
- International Departures male accessible toilet
- International Departures female accessible toilet
- Units are also located at the screening points for South West Pier, North Pier Domestic and International
Wheelchair accessible toilets can be found in the main terminal area and departure lounges.
A unisex toilet with wheelchair accessible toilet and shower facilities is available for people who need to be accompanied by a helper of the opposite gender. It’s located in main terminal by the toilets next to the Icebreaker store.