Kiwi Community Assistance win Porirua Community Awards
13 Jul 2022
2022 Wellington Airport Regional Community Awards - Porirua. Photo courtesy Mark Tantrum Photography/Porirua City Council.
The Porirua winners have been announced for the Wellington Airport Regional Community Awards at a ceremony at Pātaka on Tuesday night.
The Supreme Winner was Kiwi Community Assistance (KCA) a food rescue organisation helping communities in Porirua and throughout Wellington by rescuing surplus food and household goods and redistributing it to frontline agencies working directly with people in need. They have a dedicated team of 60 volunteers rescuing 1.3 tonnes of surplus food each day.
KCA also carries out cardboard recycling for supermarkets, composting, and facilitates the donation of many non-food items such as clothing, linen, school supplies and Christmas presents to people in need.
The category winners were:
- Ngā Uri o Whiti Te Rā Mai Le Moana Trust (Arts and Culture)
- The Voyage - Te Roopu Tiaki Rangatahi (Education and Child/Youth Development)
- Kiwi Community Assistance (Health and Wellbeing)
- Porirua MenzShed (Heritage and Environment)
- Cycle Safe Porirua (Sport and Leisure)
- Āhuru Mōwai Trust (Rising Star)
Porirua City Council’s General Manager Community & Partnerships, Reuben Friend, said the Airport’s Community Awards are a chance to show off how volunteer groups make the city vibrant and energetic, and a better place for us to live.
“Everyone nominated demonstrates their passion for Porirua and its people through their ongoing commitment – they show innovation, effectiveness, perseverance, impact and activity within our communities.”
Wellington Airport’s Manager Brand and Sponsorship, Jo Maxwell, said the airport was proud to recognise the amazing work of community groups in Porirua over the previous 12 months.
“Many of these groups don’t always get the recognition they deserve, which is a big reason why we run these awards,” she said.
“Congratulations to all the winners, and best of luck for the Regional Community Awards finals later this year.”
2022 WELLINGTON AIRPORT REGIONAL COMMUNITY AWARD WINNERS – PORIRUA
- Kiwi Community Assistance
Art & Culture
- Winner - Ngā Uri o Whiti Te Rā Mai Le Moana Trust
- Runner Up - Pacific Connection Choir
Education & Child/Youth Development
- Winner - The Voyage – Te Roopu Tiaki Rangatahi
- Runner Up - City of Porirua Cadets and TS Taupo Cadet Unit
Health & Wellbeing
- Winner - Kiwi Community Assistance
- Runner Up - Āhuru Mōwai Trust
Heritage & Environment
- Winner - Porirua MenzShed
- Runner Up - Pallets for Pickup or Delivery
Sport & Leisure
- Winner - Cycle Safe Porirua
- Runner Up - Porirua Vikings Rugby League Community Club
- Winner - Āhuru Mōwai Trust
- Runner Up - Porirua Heat Basketball Club
The winning community groups from Porirua will join winners from around the region for the award finals in November