Wellington Airport Regional Community Awards
About the awards
Every year, Wellington International Airport, Wellington Community Trust, and the five local councils come together to recognise the work carried out by community groups in the wider Wellington region. The focus of the Awards is to celebrate volunteers for their valuable contribution to society.
Finalists from each region to compete for the overall award in their category, and the opportunity to be named Supreme Winner. Members of the public are invited to nominate any not-for-profit group or organisation working in the interests of the community.
Nominations are now closed for the 2017 Wellington Airport Regional Community Awards.
Nominations are submitted under one of the following categories:
- Arts & Culture - Enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities.
- Education & Child/Youth Development - Improvement or enhancement of the educational and social development of children / youth.
- Health & Wellbeing - Enhancing the health and wellbeing of our community.
- Heritage & Environment - Improvement or revitalising of the environment, culture or heritage.
- Sport & Leisure - Increase participation and enjoyment in physical sport, leisure activities and recreational pursuits.
- Rising Star award - Designed to recognise and encourage emerging grassroots groups in the community.
Nominations must be made by completing the online form. Additional supporting information may be attached to your nomination.
Key factors considered during judging are:
- volunteer input
- utilisation of resources
- innovation and creativity
- effectiveness of activities
- impact within the community
- activities during the past year
There are two parts to the awards’ process: council awards and regional awards. The Regional Awards are judged by a panel of the five regional mayors or their representatives, and a representative from the previous years' Supreme Award winner.
Within each of the five council regions, a judging panel selects the following:
- 5 x Category Runner-Ups
- 5 x Category Winners
- 1 x Rising Star Winner
- 1 x Supreme Winner
The awards are announced and presented at a function hosted by the region’s mayor. Winners receive a cash prize and a certificate.
Thirty of the council awards’ recipients are invited to the regional awards dinner hosted by Wellington International Airport where the following regional winners are announced:
- 5 x Regional Category Winners
- 1 x Regional Rising Star Winner
- 1 x Regional Supreme Winner
Winners receive a cash prize and a framed certificate. The Regional Supreme Winner will also receive a trophy that is held for one year. They will go onto represent Wellington at the Trust Power National Community Awards.
- Art & Culture Award
- Education & Child/Youth Development Award
- Health & Wellbeing Award
- Heritage & Environment Award
- Sport & Leisure Award
- Rising Star Award
For more information about the application process, please contact:
Community Awards Manager
Policy and Projects Advisor
Administration & Funding Officer
City Communities and Grants
Wellington Community Trust: