Nominations for the 2016 awards open are now closed. 2017 Nominations will open 1 April 2017.
About the awards
Wellington Airport, in partnership with Wellington Community Trust, and the five local councils have joined together to recognise the work carried out by community groups in the wider Wellington region. The focus of the Awards is to reward the valuable contribution made by volunteers.
- You may nominate any not-for-profit group or organisation working in the interests of the community including one of which you are a member
- The Awards are designed to recognise past achievements
- The Awards do not exclude community groups who use professionals to support the delivery of services undertaken by volunteers.
Key factors considered during judging are:
- Volunteer input
- Utilisation of resources
- Innovation and creativity
- Effectiveness of activities
- Impact within the community
With a focus on activities during the past year.
Nominations to be submitted under one of the following categories:
- Arts & Culture - Enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities.
- Education & Child/Youth Development - Improvement or enhancement of the educational and social development of children / youth
- Health & Wellbeing - Enhancing the health and wellbeing of our community
- Heritage & Environment - Improvement or revitalising of the environment, culture or heritage
- Sport & Leisure - Increase participation and enjoyment in physical sport, leisure activities and recreational pursuits
Rising Star award
The Rising Star award is designed to recognise and encourage emerging and grass roots groups doing great things in our community.
Rising Star award winners will be chosen out of all the category nominees in each region.
On the nomination form you will be asked to indicate if you fit into any (or all) of the following criteria:
- The group has been in operation for less than 2 years
- The group is 100% volunteer run
- This is the first time your group has entered these Community Awards
- The group is not affiliated to a national organisation
Note: this criteria applies only to the Rising Star award eligibility. Award eligibility is at the discretion of the Judging Panel.
Nominations must be made by completing the online form. Additional supporting information may be attached to your nomination.
2016 nominations closed on 31 May.
At each of the five council regions, a judging panel selects:
- 5 x Category Runner-Ups who receive $250 and a certificate
- 5 x Category Winners who receive $1000 and a certificate
- 1 x Rising Star award winner who recieves $1000 and a certificate
- 1 x Supreme Winner who receives a further $1000 and a certificate.
These awards are announced and presented at a function hosted by the regions mayor.
The 30 Category and Rising Star winners from the council regions are invited to the regional awards dinner hosted by Wellington Airport where the following regional winners are announced:
- 5 x Regional Category Winners who will each receive $1000 and a framed certificate
- 1 x Regional Rising Star Winner who will receive $1000 and a framed certificate
- 1 x Regional Supreme Winner who will receive a $5000, a framed certificate and a trophy that is held for one year. The Regional Supreme Winner will represent the Wellington region at the Trust Power National Community Awards in early 2017.
The Regional Awards are judged by a panel of the five regional mayors or their representatives, and a representative from the previous years' Supreme Award winner.
Community Awards Manager
PO Box 14175
P: 385 5104
Hutt City Council
Private Bag 31912
Lower Hutt 5040
P: 560 1036
Kapiti Coast District Council
Private Bag 60-601
P: 04 296 4844
POlicy and Projects Advisor
Porirua City Council
PO Box 50-218
P: 237 1422
Administration & Funding Officer
Upper Hutt City Council
Private Bag 907
Upper Hutt 5140
P: 527 2793
City Communities and Grants
Wellington City Council
PO Box 2199
P: 803 8525
Wellington Community Trust:
P: 499 7966