Information for travellers on COVID-19
28 Apr 2020
Latest update, 28 April 2020
New Zealand is now at Alert Level 3. As an essential service, Wellington Airport will remain open during this period.
While we are at Alert Level 3, you should only be at the airport if:
- you are travelling to do essential work,
- you are relocating a home or business,
- you are travelling for medical reasons,
- you are travelling because of an emergency, or to give effect to a Court Order,
- you have an exemption to travel because of compassionate reasons,
- you are going to a funeral or tangihanga,
- you are a foreign national leaving New Zealand,
- you are a New Zealander resident in the Realm (Tokelau, Niue, Cook Islands) returning home,
- you have arrived in New Zealand from overseas and have completed 14 days’ of managed isolation or quarantine at the port of your arrival (except air and marine crew),
- you have been ‘stuck in wrong place’ and need to get back to your home or place of work (in this instance, a one-way trip only is permitted and the region you are travelling to must be at the same alert level, or at a higher alert level).
You should not travel at all if: you are required to self-isolate (e.g. you have arrived from overseas); have symptoms of COVID-19; are being tested for COVID-19; or are a suspected, probable or confirmed case of COVID-19.
When you arrive at the airport, you will be met by a member of Aviation Security. If you’re displaying any symptoms of COVID-19, they will liaise with your airline for advice on whether it’s safe for you to travel.
It is important you travel alone (or with others in your bubble) and ensure you always remain at least two metres away from other people.
For more information about travel under Alert Level 3, including helpful FAQs explaining what documentation you may be asked to provide while travelling, visit the Ministry of Transport’s webpage.
Arriving at the airport from overseas
All passengers entering New Zealand will be quarantined or placed in managed isolation for 14 days. For more details visit the Ministry of Health’s website.
Services available at the airport during Alert Level 3
While New Zealand is at alert Level 3, services at the airport will be limited as follows:
Retail and food and beverage
All retailers and food and beverage providers will remain closed until further notice. Vending machines are available in the terminal to provide essential food items.
Rydges Wellington Airport Hotel
The Rydges Wellington Airport Hotel will be accepting bookings; however, Whiskey Lima Golf and the Peloton Bar & Eatery will remain closed during Alert Level 3. If you plan to stay at the hotel, it’s a good idea to book ahead, although walk in bookings will be accepted. During your stay, you will be able to order food and drinks via contactless room service. You will also have access to a mini bar in your room. The hotel staff will gather your information as part of their check-in process to assist with contact tracing if needed.
Our Parking Services office will remain closed for face to face contact. Please call 04 3855143 or use the intercom at the barriers if you have any queries.
You can cancel or amend a parking booking here.
Our Valet service is closed. Please call 04 3855143 or use the intercom.
- The Airport Flyer will not be running until further notice.
- The Number 2 bus departs to the City from Hobart Street just past the Z Petrol Station, please see metlink.org.nz for further information.
- For any other bus service please contact the operator directly.
Taxis, Shuttles and Rideshare
- The long term parking shuttle bus is no longer running and any passengers using the airport for essential travel are asked to use our Uncovered, Covered and Premium car parks.
- For a Taxi or Shuttle service please see contact numbers on our Transport Maps which are located on Level 0 in Door E and Door G.
- For Rideshare services please use your respective Uber, Zoomy or OLA app.
- For Onsite Rentals (Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty, Redspot/Enterprise, Ezi or Europcar) please see notifications on the Level 0 counters or contact numbers on our Transport Maps which are located on Level 0 in Door E and Door G.
- For Offsite Rentals (Ace, Aerodrive, Apex, DCR, Go, Jucy, Mode or Omega) please see notifications on the Level 0 counters or contact numbers on our Transport Maps which are located on Level 0 in Door E and Door G.
For further assistance please call our Parking Services on 04 385 5143 or Airport Operations on 04 385 5124 – please be mindful that calls may take a little longer than usual to be answered.
More information about COVID-19
The links below provide further information on COVID-19, including latest advice on symptoms, prevention and treatment.